All Camp Lutherwood Oregon staff members are called to create an intentional community that supports and cares for each camper, and values all people as children of our Creator. Staff members are expected to keep campers safe and facilitate fun, creative, and safe activities. Staff members show, through words and actions, a response to God’s grace by their commitment to service, community, and creation.
Working at Camp Lutherwood Oregon is an unforgettable and rewarding experience. During the ten weeks of camp, you will learn what is means to live and work in community, and by the time the summer ends, that community will feel like family. You’ll be faced with challenges that provide opportunities for growth. You will uncover new gifts and skills within yourself and learn what it means to put the needs of others before your own. Chances are, the work you do will make an impact on campers of all ages. You will be looked up to, celebrated as a role model, and someday, you will be the reason someone decides to work at Camp Lutherwood. Working at camp presents an unparalleled opportunity to develop professional skills for a wide range of potential jobs and careers while serving in a meaningful way. These are skills that you can take with you into any job, internship, or life experience. If you are willing to work hard, practice gracious hospitality, and share in deep laughter and child-like play, working at Camp Lutherwood will be a great way to spend your summer.
*To work at camp you must be 18 (before June 13, 2019). To be a counselor you must be 1 year out of high school. You may work as site support or in the kitchen directly after high school graduation.*
- Cabin Counselors– The primary responsibility of a counselor is to care for the needs of their campers and to create a safe and engaging environment during their stay at camp. Counselors will be assigned to a cabin of 8-10 youth and will be expected to lead them through the camp schedule as well as plan and participate in activities with them
- Site Support– The Site Support Team plays a vital role in maintaining the site and facilities of camp. This involves helping with camp maintenance and site projects, joining dish crew, and assisting counselors when needed.
- Leadership Team– The Leadership Team works with the Program Director to plan and schedule weekly camp activities and serve as a leader for counselors.
- Kitchen Assistants– Kitchen Assistants work with the Head Cook to prepare all of the delicious meals camp enjoys. Experience is preferred, but those who are willing to learn and be trained are encouraged to apply.
- Lifeguard– Lifeguards are responsible for the safety of all participants in around the pool. Primary responsibilities include cleaning and maintaining the camp pool, as well as life guarding the pool and lakefront activities. Secondary duties will include assisting on dish crew, camp activities, and camp cleaning. Applicants must have current lifeguard certificate.
- Nurse– The camp nurse will gain hands on experience helping kids everyday! Duties range from administering campers’ medications to putting on band aids. Applicants must be in nursing school or RN certified.
- Crafts Leader– The Crafts Leader will be responsible for planning and leading daily craft projects with campers of all ages. This position requires creativity, various experience, and ability to instruct people of all ages. Secondary responsibilities may include assisting on dish crew, c amp activities, and camp cleaning.
- Naturalist– The camp Naturalist will teach daily interactive sessions about Lutherwood’s environment and God’s creation. Ideal applicants will have a background and interest in environmental education. Secondary duties may include assisting on dish crew, camp activities, and camp cleaning.
Applications for 2019 are here!
Applications are now being accepted for all summer staff positions, and you can apply here! Once you have logged into your camp account or created a new account, you will find the application located in the “Document Center” found under the “Additional Options” tab. Applications are found in the left column under “Online Forms.” Please fill out the application that applies to you completely and follow further instructions for resume uploading. Applications will not be reviewed until the application is fully completed and the resume has bee uploaded.
Why work at camp
Transform your resume and enhance your work experience, be a positive role model and make a difference in children’s lives, all while growing personally and professionally by working at Camp Lutherwood Oregon.
Gain valuable skills that can be easily transferred to your résumé, such as leadership experience, interpersonal communication, public speaking, problem solving skills and teamwork. Working at camp doesn’t just help your resume, camp also provides the space for you to grow in your faith and make memories with new friends.
Receive hands-on experience planning and organizing activities, facilitate team building opportunities, lead night hikes and creek walks, and engage with a cabin of campers for the week. Learn to lead and work with people of all ages — kids, adults, and those with special needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Summer Staff are paid once a month and at a rate determined by previous camp experience and position on staff. Summer Staff also receive free room, and three prepared meals a day during the week.
2019 Staff Training and Summer Schedule is coming soon!
During the camp week, you will be expected to work from 10:00am Sunday morning to 5:00pm Friday evening.
There are three scheduled weekends of camp programming. Summer Staff will most likely work part of each weekend, or a minimum of 1 weekend.
Yes! During the camp week all staff receive 1 hour off per day. Staff also have Friday evening (starting at 5:00pm) to Sunday morning (ending at 10:00am) off during non-camp program weekends.
If you need an extended amount of time off, please request the dates at the time of hire.
There is no such thing as a normal day of camp! Each day is filled with new adventures and activities. Typically we stick to a schedule of activities such as crafts and creation, free time, Bible study, meals, games, and campfire. Learn more about our summer programs to get a taste of what you will have the opportunity to lead or participate in!
Junction City, 17 miles away. Junction City is small, but has all the essentials: Safeway (with Starbucks!), Dutch Bros, Gas Stations, St. Vincent DePaul Thrift Store, Goodwill, & a Scandinavian Festival in August.
Eugene, 25 miles away. Eugene is a mid-sized city with everything you could need: Valley River Center Mall, University of Oregon (Track Town USA!), Mini Golf (Camp Putt and Putters), movie theaters, bowling, Winco, various local coffee shops and small businesses.
Florence, 1 hour away. Florence is a cute little beach town on the Oregon Coast with beautiful outdoor places to explore like: Triangle Lake Rock Slides, and Hobbit Beach. Chow down after with Mo’s Chowder House, and BJ’s Ice Cream!
VISION & CALL INTERNSHIP
Camp Lutherwood Oregon is seeking an intern with an interest in faith based non-profit work. This intern will participate in an apprenticeship style of learning with our Marketing Coordinator and Development Associate, Program Director, and Director of Operations in hands on projects. This nine to twelve month internship includes a $1,350 monthly stipend plus housing, food in the summer, as well as professional development opportunities throughout the year.
This intern should expect to work in areas of youth and family program support, hospitality and guest services, fundraising and communication strategies, and other duties as needed.
Camp Lutherwood Oregon is a year round camp and retreat center serving congregations and communities in Oregon and SW Washington. It is located in the coastal foothills, 25 miles NW of Eugene, OR. Camp Lutherwood Oregon is a vibrant center of spirituality, service, and hospitality open to people of all ages and faiths.
Applications will open for 2019-2020 season soon!
Year Round Positions
We are currently not hiring any year round positions, but thank you for your interest!